Tuesday, February 28, 2023

From the CTKG Cabinet: Meet Liliana!

Hi, my name is Liliana and I was a final candidate in the 2022 Connecticut’s Kid Governor election. I’m now a member of the 2023 Kid Governor’s Cabinet working with Kid Governor Ellie!

I ran on the platform that promotes the importance of literacy. I chose this issue because I know that a lot of people struggle with reading and there are a lot of ways that I can help make a difference. Reading is important because it has a big impact on your life. Reading helps you learn and understand things that you may not be able to experience physically.

My three-point platform is:

1) Create a YouTube channel of kids reading books so that those without access or with reading disabilities can access stories.

2) Have book drives to donate to different programs around Connecticut, as well as start little libraries where kids can take and give books.

3) Get book buddies in schools around Connecticut so that older students can help younger students with reading.


In January I was inaugurated as a Cabinet Member along with Ellie, our Kid Governor, and the other Cabinet Members. Our classes came to Inauguration Day at Connecticut's Old State House, and we had a lot of fun learning about government and playing games! Then, in February, we had our first Cabinet Meeting in the Kid Governor's Office at the Old State House, where we talked about our platforms and did an awesome scavenger hunt.

Since the Statewide Election, I have been busy getting to work! I have launched my R.E.A.D. campaign which stands for Read Enjoy And Donate. For my campaign, I have asked for people to donate children’s books that will be used for new little libraries in 2 elementary schools in my town of Milford. Many of the books are also being donated to New Haven Reads. As of today, I have collected more than 500 books!


During Read Across America Week, I will be guest reading in many classrooms in my town of Milford. I will be having a book drive in my school that week as well. If a student donates a book, they will get a sticker that says “I donated a book today!” and will be entered into a raffle!

I am also working with RJ Julia Booksellers in Madison, CT to be a special guest at a book event for Connecticut schools with the author Katherine Applegate! I will be featured on Great Day Connecticut soon to talk about this event and my platform.

I will continue to work on my platform by creating a YouTube channel with me reading books and will continue to collect donated books. I would like to add more R.E.A.D. libraries in other schools around Connecticut, too!

If you would like to support my platform, you can donate books to be put into more R.E.A.D. libraries. You can also offer to read to younger students in your school or record yourself reading books to share with others! I would love to hear how you are helping improve literacy in your community. Email me at Cabinet@CT.KidGovernor.org to tell me about your work. You can also visit CT.KidGovernor.org/Cabinet2023 to read about the other members of the Kid Governor’s Cabinet.


Liliana Magazine
2023 Kid Governor's Cabinet 
Meadowside Elementary School      
Milford

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the CTKG Cabinet: Liliana Donates Books!

Hello, I am Liliana and I am a part of the  2023 Kid Governor's Cabinet ! My platform is about literacy and improving access to books. I...