Wednesday, March 1, 2023

From the CTKG Cabinet: Meet Maxence!

Hi,  My name is Maxence Clementine and I’m a member of the 2023 Kid Governor’s Cabinet working with Kid Governor Ellie Mendez! I go to Long Meadow Elementary School in Middlebury. I love sports, especially soccer, and I am a Star Wars fan. At school, my favorite subjects are social studies and math! Fun fact: I am totally fluent in French. 

In this blog post, I would like to tell you a bit more about my community issue and what I intend to do this year. I will also tell you about Inauguration Day and our 1st Cabinet Meeting!

My platform addresses Cyberbullying. I chose this issue because many people in fifth grade and up use the internet and, unfortunately, we don’t seem to be protected enough. According to DoSomething.org, “six out of ten young people have witnessed cyberbullying."  It really hurts my feelings knowing that people feel bad and sad because of cyberbullying. This is why I want to make a difference on this matter. I want to help kids know that they are not alone and how to react if they get cyberbullied.

My three-point platform is:

1) Spread awareness of cyberbullying with the support of a short video and other online resources.

2) Create a 10-step action plan about how to react if you are cyberbullied.

3) Create an Anti-Cyberbullying Day where teachers and students talk about this issue.

I began my term of office at Inauguration Day back in January. It was amazing! I felt so excited to be introduced to so many important people like Lt. Governor Susan Bysiewicz, Secretary of the State Stephanie Thomas, and many others! It was also incredible to take my Oath of Office in front of all my classmates. This day was really intense and interesting, and I will remember it forever. 

We also had our 1st Cabinet Meeting in February, and It was good to share with the other Cabinet Members about our respective platforms. We also received a portfolio binder and some business cards. I felt very professional! But the meeting was fun, too, as we did a scavenger hunt all around Connecticut's Old State House!

Finally, I want to tell you about the work I've done so far on my platform. I am still at the beginning of the process, but I will soon be working with Scott Driscoll, President of Internet Safety Concepts! I am sure he will be a great resource, especially for drafting my 10-step action plan. I’ll tell you more about it soon!

I would love to hear about how you are making a difference around Cyberbullying in your own community, or if you have been cyberbullied and want to share what helped you. Email me at Cabinet@CT.KidGovernor.org to tell me about it! 

I feel so happy to be part of this journey and I will share more about it with you!


Maxence Clementine 
2023 Kid Governor's Cabinet 
Long Meadow Elementary School      
Middlebury 

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the CTKG Cabinet: Liliana Donates Books!

Hello, I am Liliana and I am a part of the  2023 Kid Governor's Cabinet ! My platform is about literacy and improving access to books. I...