Wednesday, May 31, 2023

From the CTKG Cabinet: Scarlet's Spring Updates!

Hello! My name is Scarlet Beaulieu, and I am a member of the 2023 Kid Governor's Cabinet. I am here to tell you about what I have been doing over the past few months! Let's get started! 

On April 11th, Kid Governor Ellie and I went to a meeting of the Governor's Council on Women and Girls (CoWaG). We spoke about our platforms and the work we've done so far during our terms, which was awesome! You can watch a recording of our presentation here. We also got to meet Lieutenant Governor Susan Bysiewicz and Commissioner Vannessa Dorantes from the Department of Children and Families. It was an amazing experience! 

 
 

Next, I worked to accomplish one of the points of my platform: organize a Trash Walk Day for schools and communities! I reached out to other nominees from the 2022 Statewide Election, like Santi from Duffy Elementary School, Connor from Highland Elementary School, and Demetri from Highcrest Elementary School. They had platforms about helping the environment, too. I asked them if they would like to host Trash Walk Days at their schools, and they said yes! So I created a presentation called "How to Organize a Trash Walk" to help them with the steps. 

The week leading up to Earth Day, I helped my school organize Trash Walks for each grade! That whole week, my class even got to help with the announcements each morning to talk about Earth Day and the Trash Walks. My class also made posters about Earth Day and created a slide presentation to introduce my school to a program called "GotSneakers." GotSneakers motivates people to donate sneakers to be reused or recycled! The sneaker donations get sent to GotSneakers and are recycled or reused to keep a circular economy going. On Friday that week, my 5th-grade classmates and I had our own Trash Walk and ran an assembly to educate students at our school all about Earth Day and GotSneakers! 

 

The very next day was Earth Day. I worked with my town's Beautification Committee to organize a community litter clean-up! We collected 14 bags of trash! It was such a fun day. 

Have you made a difference in your community? Tell me about it! You can reach me via email, Cabinet@CTKidGovernor.org. You can also learn more about my platform and the other Cabinet Members' platforms by visiting CT.KidGovernor.org/cabinet2023. Thanks for reading!

Scarlet Beaulieu
2023 Kid Governor's Cabinet 
Andover Elementary School      
Andover

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the CTKG Cabinet: Liliana Donates Books!

Hello, I am Liliana and I am a part of the  2023 Kid Governor's Cabinet ! My platform is about literacy and improving access to books. I...