Friday, June 9, 2023

From the CTKG Cabinet: Liliana's "Literacy For All" Updates!

Hello, my name is Liliana and I am a member of the 2023 Kid Governor's Cabinet with the platform of Literacy For All. I've been working on my platform this Spring and I'd like to update you on some of the things I've done!

First, I have had so much fun creating Little Free Libraries in schools throughout Milford! I did this by collecting children's books as part of my R.E.A.D. (Read Enjoy And Donate) Campaign!  I also went around my school with our mascot, Cooper. We collected donations from students throughout my school. Then, I used the books that people donated to make the libraries! 

In my school, I created a Little Library by my media center. We have a bookshelf full of awesome books and a whiteboard so students can write down books that they really enjoyed! I'd like to give special shout-outs to my Principal, Mrs. Krois and my teacher, Ms. Aliberti. They helped me organize everything and I couldn't have done this project without them! 

Also this spring, I was invited by RJ Julia Booksellers to host a virtual literacy event with the author Katherine Applegate! Schools from across Connecticut came on a virtual meet to talk about Katherine Applegate's book, Wishtree. There was also a Q&A portion where students got to ask questions to Ms. Applegate. On the day of the event, I went to the RJ Julia and I asked Katherine Applegate questions that students submitted from across Connecticut! It was an especially cool event because ALL students got copies of Wishtree!

These projects have been really fun, but there's still more work to do! The next point of my platform is to create a YouTube channel with lots of read-aloud videos, so kids that can't physically read have access to books! I plan to start my YouTube channel over the summer. I hope that you will subscribe when it's published! 

I am so happy that my platform and the Little Libraries have been a good resource for kids in my town, Milford, and across Connecticut. If you are working to improve literacy in your community, tell me about it! You can email me at Cabinet@CT.KidGovernor.org. Thanks for reading!

Liliana Magazine
2023 Kid Governor's Cabinet 
Meadowside Elementary School      
Milford

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the CTKG Cabinet: Liliana Donates Books!

Hello, I am Liliana and I am a part of the  2023 Kid Governor's Cabinet ! My platform is about literacy and improving access to books. I...