Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Welcome To My Blog!

Hello, I am Ellie Mendez, the 2023 Connecticut's Kid Governor, and this is my first blog post!

I am so delighted to be your Kid Governor. Here is a little bit about me: I participate in gymnastics and soccer. I love playing with my puppy Dino! I like reading, math, and science. I like cheerleading, I like drawing or sketching, and I love hanging out with my friends and my family. My leadership qualities include being honest, driven for change, patient, loving, caring, and, last but not least, outgoing.

I ran for Kid Governor on my platform of Express and Address Your Feelings. I chose my platform because through my past experiences, I have learned that there haven't been enough resources for kids' mental health. I also chose this platform because some parents believe that the symptoms of anxiety and depression are just a phase and the child will get over it, or maybe that it is a behavioral disorder. But really, kids' mental health is real and very important. I want to help kids who don't have a voice and want to be heard but don't know how. 

I campaigned on a three-point platform: 

1. Promote strategies for Connecticut 5th graders to communicate their feelings.

2. Educate students about the signs of anxiety and depression and strategies to cope with those feelings.

3. Create a digital mental health hub with uplifting messages and interactive resources to inspire kids.

As Kid Governor, I will also work with my Cabinet. My Cabinet includes the other 6 finalists from the Kid Governor election, and they will also be writing blog posts this year too! I hope you also will take time to learn about my Cabinet members and their platforms, which are very important. I am so excited to start my term as the 2023 Kid Governor, and I am looking forward to working with my Cabinet members and with the 5th graders of Connecticut. Together we can make a difference for kids who have anxiety and depression! 

I want to hear from my constituents! If you are making a difference in your community, whether you are spreading kindness to kids who have anxiety or depression or doing anything else to help, please email me at Ellie@CT.KidGovernor.org. You can also reach out to my Cabinet at Cabinet@CT.KidGovernor.org.

That is all for now! Make sure you stay tuned for more blog posts from me or my Cabinet!




Elisavet "Ellie" Mendez
2023 Kid Governor 
Monroe Elementary School
Monroe


No comments:

Post a Comment

From the CTKG Cabinet: Liliana Donates Books!

Hello, I am Liliana and I am a part of the  2023 Kid Governor's Cabinet ! My platform is about literacy and improving access to books. I...